The last leg of our epic trip was 2 weeks in Scotland. It was not near enough time but it was enough to get to know our way around. Here are some things we especially liked about Scotland:
- History: So much history to dive into. Loved it. If ancestory is your thing you will have a ball in Scotland. I love history and architecture. Scotland does a great job at showing visitors about the history of places. All of their historic buildings are awesome to visit and there is lots of information available at them. I loved reading about the history. There is a National War Museum within Edinburgh Castle that is really good. In the memorial they have huge books for both world wars and all the regiments where you can find the names of Scottish people who died in the wars. We found lots of my husbands ancestors in them. Very interesting.
- Castles: They are everywhere. If you get a Scottish Heritage Pass, you can visit a lot of castles. We never tired of them. Stirling Castle and Edinburgh Castle are 2 that stand out, but there are hundreds of them to visit.
- Scenery: Totally gobsmacking! Especially if you get out into the highlands and places like the Isle of Skye. Couldn’t get enough. This is where having a rental car is awesome. You can stop and go at your leisure. Drive through the Trossachs, Loch Ness, Loch Lomond, it goes on and on with awesome areas to tour. Isle of Skye has a vibe like no other. We visited the Skye Museum of Island Life. You get to go through some croft homes and get a look at how people lived there in the past. They were very tough people! The weather is very fierce there. Great scenery to look at everywhere in Scotland.
- Edinburgh: We stayed in the old town where it is easy to walk everywhere. It really is not a huge area so very walkable. Go into the little quirky closes as you walk around. You never know what you will find in them. Edinburgh Castle is very special as is Hollyrood. My favourite was Rosslyn Chapel. So interesting and beautiful. It is a short city bus ride just out of the city. So worth going. The little shops and pubs are great too. We stayed at the Hotel du Vin in the Old Town. It used to be an insane asylum! So quirky! Loved Edinburgh.
- Whiskey: Who knew I like whiskey! When we were planning our trip, whiskey was not one of the things high on my list, but I felt like I couldn’t go to Scotland and not visit a distillery and try the scotch. We toured Dewars in Aberfeldy and I loved it! They did a great job with their tour and their displays are interesting taking you from the origins right to present day. I loved the scotch and brought some home which I am hoarding!
A bonus thing I really liked about Scotland is the pubs. So wee and cute! Take some of those in when you visit! Our 2 weeks there went really fast and I would go again in a heartbeat.