Since we moved into our new home almost a year ago now, I have had a niggling thing bothering me about my dining room. I felt that something wasn’t quite working. Finally I figured it out. It was the dining chairs. Our dining room table is a prized possession. It is from 1890 and has 4 leaves in it. It can go from a small square table for 4 to a really long table to sit 12 quite easily. It is too precious to do anything to it like paint it. I considered painting our 1940’s cabinet, but vetoed that as well. The curtains in the room are a slightly off white very light and airy fabric. So painting the chairs an off white colour is what I decided on. The 6 chairs we have are not precious by any means. And they are the most uncomfortable chairs ever. I have been looking at replacing them, but I can’t seem to find any I like in a reasonable price range that work with my table. So I took them down to a local upholstery shop and they re did the webbing and padding on the seats and recovered them with a fabric I purchased. We could have recovered the seats ourselves after he did the reconstruction work but he only charged an additional $6.00 per chair to do it so we just had him do it. We painted the chairs ourselves. We gave them a light sanding and wiped them clean. It took a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. I am totally in love with how they turned out.
Here is the breakdown of the cost of the project:
Cost of new webbing, padding and cost to recover 6 chairs: $240.00
1 can of primer: zero, we had it on hand
1 quart of Benjamin Moore paint: $28.00
Total cost: $318.00
I feel this was much much less than the cost of replacing them.